Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Trials and Tribulations of a New Released MMO (DFO)

So here I am still waiting for Darkfall to be released. I was one of the lucky ones who hammered the web site long enough till I got a preorder of the game. At first, it was pretty bad. The web site was overloaded with connections timing out and giving internal server errors. Then, after about an hour or so into trying to get a preorder, I got the message "Temporarily Sold Out." I was like WTF! I was crushed and started to go emo; however, I just didn't believe this message.

So I went to the forums, and I heard people were getting the same error too, but also some people who said they got it too but kept trying and finally got a preorder copy of the game. So I tried for another hour or so and finally got through.

In the meantime, I have been playing this F2P (Free to Play) MMO called Atlantica Online (http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/default.asp). I have been playing it for a few months now. It's actually quite a good F2P MMO, and it reminds me of playing Final Fantasy (the single player version), but in an MMO format. I actually recommend this game to play, if you don't have much time or don't feel like paying for an MMO. It's worth it to play.

Anyways, back to DFO. Currently, I am doing their second over 120 meg patch...not sure what would entail about 250 megs of untested patching before putting the servers live. I guess we will have to see how that goes...

Hmm...well an update was posted as I was writing this blog. Apparently, a bug was found during the final testing of beta, and they said the ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) would be 2 hours...so I am thinking more like 5 hours. Oh well, better that they caught and fixed the bug now then post-release. I have waited for this game for over 3 years, so a few more hours isn't going to kill me...I don't think.

No comments: